The L Train Coalition leadership team received an email from the Van Alen Institute inviting us to attend their workshop. We’re further sharing that by publishing the workshop information on our website. The details are below
Where: Van Alen Institute, 30 West 22nd Street, NY, NY 10010When: Friday, March 3rd, 8am – 10amPlease RSVP via email (contact: email@example.com)
We’re hosting a workshop to explore potential health impacts related to the shutdown of the L Train. Last summer, we held a design competition where designers addressed the service interruption with alternative transit proposals; now, we’re working with students from the Dept of Design & Environmental Analysis at Cornell University to design a “health impact assessment” (HIA) study to (1) identify possible health risks (and, perhaps benefits) of the L-Train shut down and (2) make recommendations aimed at reducing those risks (and, if possible, amplifying benefits), with particular attention to vulnerable populations. Because of the leadership you’ve shown on this issue, and your presence within the community, we’re inviting you to join us for the workshop.
The goal of our workshop is for the HIA team to gain insight from the various stakeholders with respect to the anticipated health impacts of the L-Train shutdown, prioritize impacts, and consider strategies to address the health impacts. The workshop activities will include:
- Share perspectives: What does “health” mean to you?
- Brief overview presentation: What is HIA? What are the goals of the L-Train Shutdown HIA project?
- Small group discussions: What are major impacts of the L-Train shutdown on health (negative + positive)? What’s the scale of these effects? Who is most affected?
- Prioritize health impacts.
- Identify strategies to mitigate negative health effects and to enhance positive health effects.
- Discuss results & next steps.
We believe your participation would be invaluable to the workshop. And if you could share this event with your membership, we would appreciate it (point of contact is firstname.lastname@example.org). If you would like more information about either the event, or Van Alen Institute, please contact me and I’ll be happy to answer any questions.